Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Is there is Super8mm group in LA?

  1. #1
    Konton
    Guest Konton's Avatar

    Question

    Hi all,

    I just moved from San Francisco to LA (Santa Monica to be exact). I was just curious if there were any groups or film organization out here that work in Super 8mm. I have a plethora of equipment I'm sure other Super 8mm enthusiasts may like to inspect or borrow. If there isn't any group, then does anyone way to start one? Let me know!

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    I'm in Sacramento at the moment, but within the year, I'll be moving back to L.A., so put me on your list for a future member.
    (I also have lots of equipment, & about 16K in lights, as well as dolly, jib, etc.)

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  3. #3
    chas_ucla
    Guest chas_ucla's Avatar

    Post

    Justin,
    like I e-mailed you a little while ago, I think you and I make up the Santa Monica Super-8 club. I'd be very interested in seeing if there are any other Westside locals who are into S-8.

    Btw, UCLA Extension is offering a cool class called "The Art of Super-8" on Saturdays, starting on the 22nd, I think.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Konton
    Guest Konton's Avatar

    Post

    Hey Chas, you still go to UCLA? We'll have to meet up and start an organization. I own the domain-name super8mm.org. We could use it as a starting point. I was about to close down super8mm.net anyway.

    Hey Matt Pacini, I would have loved to have helped you with your film since I used to live in San Francisco. But now I'm down in LA. Hope to see ya hear soon!


    ------------------

  5. #5
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Konton:
    "Hey Matt Pacini, I would have loved to have helped you with your film since I used to live in San Francisco. But now I'm down in LA. Hope to see ya hear soon!"

    Yeah, that would have been cool.
    Let's keep in touch, maybe when I get back down there, we can work together.

    Who is teaching the Super 8 UCLA class?
    That's pretty cool.

    Matt Pacini



    ------------------

  6. #6
    Hanthx
    Guest Hanthx's Avatar

    Talking

    hey Hey

    I live in Burbank, and attenting CSUN as a film major...

    Anytime!

    Sc;ott

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Hanthx:
    [B]hey Hey" I live in Burbank, and attenting CSUN as a film major..."

    Wow, what a coincidence!
    The last place I lived in S. Cal, was Glendale, then before that, Burbank.
    I lived over by the Glendale Galleria, & in Burbank, I lived on Magnolia, between Buena Vista & Victory.
    My friends live in the Westlake village area, and I really like it there, so I may end up either there, or back in Burbank or Glendale.
    Email me your Phone# sometime, & when I'm down there, we can get togher, eh?
    Got any projects coming up in the near future?

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  8. #8
    chas_ucla
    Guest chas_ucla's Avatar

    Post

    Here's info on the UCLA Super-8 course being offered this Fall. The instructor's name is Josh Abelon. And if you need more info you can e-mail him directly at: [email protected]

    The Art of Super 8
    831.16 Art 3 CEU $410
    (Students must provide their own Super 8 camera; estimated additional costs for supplies, equipment, and processing is
    $250-$300.) For artists and anyone else who is interested in using a medium other than video to make personal artistic films, this course introduces students to the Super 8 format through projects, readings, screenings, and discussions. Originally developed in the mid-1960s for the amateur filmmaker, this gauge of film has since been used extensively by artists, experimental filmmakers, and advertisers. The Super 8 format allows for experimentation without the expense of 16mm or 35mm formats. Students are
    encouraged to be experimental and personal. Projects emphasize the idea of film as a tangible object which informs the work
    as much as the subject. Topics include the history of Super 8 and other amateur formats, detailed instructions on Super 8 film
    production (storyboards, exhibition, etc.), types of film and equipment, differences between film gauges and how each
    influences the work, the current direction of the format, and distribution opportunities. Students produce three short films during
    the quarter through in-class work sessions and assignments outside of class. Works by such artists as Stan Brakhage, Jorg
    Buttgereit, Kidlat Tahmik, Bruce Conner, and Jem Cohen provide historical and aesthetic contexts for projects, class discussions,
    and critiques.

    ------------------

  9. #9
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    I remember film clubs disbanding in the 80's nd early 90's, or switching over to video...not with the advent of low cost video editing, starting a Super-8 club all over again.

    I'm very tempted.

    ------------------
    Alex

  10. #10
    Hanthx
    Guest Hanthx's Avatar

    Talking

    Matt P and Konton

    Hey!
    Maybe in a few weeks, we can meet up with a few of the other L.A. buds, there are plenty of us!
    Met up with Stanley K (Germein) last week, and have to say, what a bright chap!
    Seems all the people/friends I have meet through this forum are wonderful, creative, and intelligent beings with something to say.

    Hope to hear from ya soon.
    Scott

    ------------------

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •